The History of the Clergy
The list of clergy who have served at St. Martin begins with The Reverend Mark T. Carpenter, the Rector of All Saints Parish, who was in charge of the church at its formation, and The Reverend E.A. McIntosh, a retired priest who served the needs of St. Martin's Mission in the winter of 1950.
The Reverend Wells Folsom, who was assistant of All Saints Parish, was put in charge of St. Martin's Parish for about one year following Fr. McIntosh's departure.
After Fr. Folsom came The Reverend Donald Copeland, who become the first Rector of St. Martin's Parish. Fr. Copeland guided the church through its early years, from 1952-1956, and then left to become the Rector of St. Stephen's Church, Coconut Grove.
In 1956, the Parish of St. Martin's called as its new rector, The Reverend H. Lyttleton Zimmerman, who had been serving as the Rector of Holy Cross in Sanford, Florida. Father "Z", as he affectionately became known, served St. Martin's until his retirement in January 1982. Under Fr. Zimmerman's leadership, the new church building was built and St. Martin's reached its honored position in the diocese. Fr. Zimmerman was made an Honorary Canon of Trinity Cathedral in 1969.
On January 6, 1983, after a year long search, The Reverend Geoffrey Evans became St. Martin's third Rector. Before serving at St. Martin's, Fr. Evans served as Rector of Holy Comforter Church in Miami. After retiring, Fr. Evans continued living in Pompano Beach with his wife Marge. He died in 2011.
On January 18, 1987, The Reverend Dale Moyer was called as St Martin's fourth Rector. He was a graduate of Evangelical Theological Seminary, Harperville, Illinois; and Nashotah House Seminary, Nashotah, Wisconsin. Prior to coming to St. Martin's, Fr. Moyer was Rector of St. Paul's Church, Wallingford, Connecticut. He served as Rector of St. Martin's until his retirement in 1995.
The Reverend Hobart Gary served as Interim priest from 1995 until the arrival of St. Martin's current Rector in March of 1998.
The Reverend Bernard J. Pecaro is a life long Episcopalian and native of Ft. Lauderdale. His home parish is St. Benedict's, Plantation, where he lived with his family until graduation from Nova University in 1979. He graduated Nashotah House Seminary in 1984 and served as Assistant to the Rector at St. Mary's Parish, Stuart, Florida from 1984 -1990 and St. Paul's, Delray Beach, Florida from 1990-1998. He and his family continue to serve and worship at St. Martin. Fr. Pecaro served as a Chaplain in the United States Navy (Commander), Reserve Component, until his retirement in November, 2014. He also has held numerous offices within the diocese, including serving as Dean of the Broward Deanery and as President of the Standing Committee.